Date:      10 Mar 2002 01:01:34 -0800
From:      "Gary W. Swearingen" <swear@blarg.net>
To:        FreeBSD-gnats-submit@freebsd.org
Subject:   docs/35732: adduser(8) page has obsolete reference and other problems.

>Number:         35732
>Category:       docs
>Synopsis:       adduser(8) page has obsolete reference and other problems.
>Confidential:   no
>Severity:       non-critical

-- The adduser(8) man page has several problems. See below.

================
>How-To-Repeat:
n/a
================
>Fix:

-- Remove the reference to setlogin(2)'s BUGS section (because it has
no relevant text).

-- Reconcile the Description's "May contain only lowercase characters or
digits." with adding_user(8)'s implications that login names may
contain hyphens, dots, and uppercase letters.  Maybe just needs a
clarifying comment that the program is more retrictive than most of the
base OS software and refer to adding_user(8) there.

-- Unconfuse the mention of a 16-character limit and the 8-character
limit.  At least, clean up the confusing clause "or source that assumes
the 8-character name limit and NIS". (Maybe change "and NIS" to "of
NIS".  Maybe remove the comma from "programs, or source".)

-- Add "adding_user(8)" to the "See Also" section.

-- Under "-verbose", change "warnings, questions" to "warnings and
questions".

-- Under "message file", change "Eval" to "Evaluate".

-- After "shell", change "Only valid shells from the shell database"
to "Shells from /etc/shells".  Clarify "or sliplogin and pppd". (Does
it mean the actual words "sliplogin" or "pppd" instead of a shell name,
or what?  If so, quote them and change "and" to "or".)

--  In the "-shell" explanation, "shell" should be
"shell_full_pathname". (I don't remember my evidence for making that
statement, but had it in my notes probably gathered when I was using
the program.)