Date:      Sat, 21 Feb 1998 12:44:48 -0600
From:      Richard Wackerbarth <rkw@dataplex.net>
To:        jak@cetlink.net (John Kelly)
Cc:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More breakage in -current as a result of header frobbing.

At 1:22 PM -0600 2/21/98, John Kelly wrote:
>On Sat, 21 Feb 1998 14:38:03 +1030, Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com> wrote:
>
>>Maybe now's an appropriate time to come out with a thing that I've
>>been meaning to propose for some time:
>>
>>Sure, living with -CURRENT means never knowing where your next install
>>comes from
>
>I propose that after 2.2.6 or 2.2.7, whichever comes last, that you
>just do away with -stable altogether and start making three or four CD
>SNAPs of -current per year and call it "semi-stable."  Just catch the
>-current tree at a really good time when making those CDs.

This would definitely be the WRONG way to go. We need to be making
EXTREMELY HIGH QUALITY releases.

>>From my point of view, the gap between -stable and -current has grown
>too wide to keep much interest in -stable.  PPPD is a good example.
>The version in -stable is more than two years old.

I do not disagree that the gap is wider than might be desirable.
However, there are two ways to close that gap.
1) Move features that have been well tested back into the 2.2 branch
   (pppd might well be an appropriate candidate for this approach)
2) Freeze a 3.0 release and start improving its stability.

This second approach will eventually become necessary even if (1) is
used as an interim measure. However, when this is appropriate is a
decision for the development team.

In either case, the "stable" concept will not go away. There will always
be those who are working on "not ready for prime time" enhancements.
If those features are to get more than local testing, they will have to
go into an "experimental/development" tree rather than the "reliable" one.

Richard Wackerbarth