Date:      Fri, 26 May 2000 18:37:02 +0930 (CST)
From:      Greg Lewis <glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au>
To:        past@netmode.ntua.gr
Cc:        freebsd-java@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Fixing Jbuilder 3.5

Panagiotis Astithas wrote:
> Since both font.properties work for different people, it must mean that
> people somehow have the respective fonts installed in their systems. In
> my system initially none of the two font.properties worked, that is why
> I had to download the URW fonts. Those of you who were ok with the default
> (Blackdown's, Sun's or Greg's - which one is it?) font.properties, did you
> get those fonts from somewhere special? Have you installed some specific
> software that installs fonts along its main installation? Candidates would
> be StarOffice, ApplixWare, etc. I have Gimp in my system, so that is out
> of the question.

The fonts which the default font.properties uses come with the JDK code.
See share/lib/fonts/.  These are TrueType fonts though.  Robert suggests
you may need a TrueType font server (e.g. xfsft) for them to be useful,
but I'm pretty sure I'm not running a TrueType font server and they appear
to just work for me.

I'm still going to install the URW fonts and give them a go though :).

P.S. the default font.properties is from the FreeBSD Java porting team.
     Its based on the Solaris 5.5.1 font.properties that is in the
     standard JDK 1.2.2 source if I remember correctly.

--
Greg Lewis 				glewis@trc.adelaide.edu.au
Computing Officer			+61 8 8303 5083