Date:      Tue, 17 Feb 1998 22:41:46 +0000
From:      Karl Pielorz <kpielorz@tdx.co.uk>
To:        isp@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   All about SPAM (again)...

Hi All,

I realise this really isn't the place to ask this - but I thought it was kind
of relevant as we all seem to be getting hit by SPAM sent to this list as
well...

If anyone can reply (to me directly if they want to avoid the 'off-topic'
calls) - What does everyone do with their SPAM? - I've seen numerous 'mail it
to nospam@somewhere.com', install 'anti-spam' rules, join CAUSE etc.

Ever since I've started posting to these lists I get hit by about 6 - 7 SPAM
messages a day... Ok, not major - but annoying - especially as they all have
the 'fatal' "To remove yourself from our list - simply reply with 'remove' as
the subject line", and lo and behold "emailmarketing@business.aliens" doesn't
really exist! - What a suprise?! ;-) ...

Do the Anti-Spam sendmail rules work? - What happens when say one of our
customers mails (through us - being allowed by the rules to 'relay' through
us) to another site, where the customer is hidden behind a mail-relay (for
security reasons)? - Isn't the remotes sites anti-spam rules going to deny the
mail? (as it was relayed at our end, and then re-relayed at the other?) - Or
is part of these rules a re-write to make it appear the mail hasn't been
'relayed' at our end?

Any private / public / general comments greatly appreciated...

Regards,

Karl Pielorz

(Not rich, not going to get rich by mailing $5 to someone, not really
interested in $5000 a week for lending my kitchen table out either (OK, maybe
- but not if you email me about it from mars)