Date:      Thu, 20 Aug 1998 15:58:26 +0000
From:      Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
To:        Matthew Hagerty <matthew@wolfepub.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Trapping memory

> Is there some way to trap or detect when some other program is trying to
> read memory used by another program?

You could implement a kernel extension to provide this support.

> For example, I have an encryption/decryption daemon that holds its key in
> memory.  I have been told that there is really no way to protect the memory
> used by the daemon in the case of a root compromise.  However, if I could
> somehow detect another program trying to access my daemon's memory space,
> then I could have the daemon dump the key and shutdown.

A root compromise would be able to defeat the detection mechanism.

You could increase the difficulty of recovering the key slightly by
obfuscating its storage, but protecting it completely would require
kernel modifications which could be reversed/removed/faked around by a
sufficiently persistent attacker.