Date:      Wed, 30 Oct 1996 17:12:14 -0500 (EST)
From:      Charles Henrich <henrich@crh.cl.msu.edu>
To:        rgrimes@GndRsh.aac.dev.com, freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: SONY DAT DRIVES - NOT SUPPORTED for "UNIX" - BUYER BEWARE !!!

In lists.freebsd.isp you write:

>> Warning to ALL!
>>
>> We just got off the phone with Sony Tech Support re: their SCSI DAT Drive,
>> Model No. SDT-5000/BM & SDT-5200/BM and a problem we were having with a
>> new drive we just received from TechDATA.  Sony said they did not support
>> any "Unix" operating system, specifically Linux and FreeBSD which were
>> "shareware" (obviously he doesn't know what shareware is).  Unless we wished
>> to discuss problems found on Windows, Windows95, or WindowsNT he could offer
>> no help!!

>Whom did you talk with at Sony?  I'll cut my buyer lose on them and
>explain that as an OEM I'll be blacklisting there products from all
>systems for actions like this.

>> I hope everyone in the "Unix" environment takes note of their position and
>> reacts appropriately with their buying decisions.

>So noted, Sony DAT products just got removed from my proposed new product
>offerings.

That is a mistake.  Because of one bad tech rep you blacklist a company?  Give
me a break, the Sony SDT-5000 DAT drives are the best I've ever come across,
having used Exabyte, HP, Archive, and Sony's...

-Crh
--

       Charles Henrich     Michigan State University     henrich@msu.edu

                         http://pilot.msu.edu/~henrich