Date:      Mon, 11 Jan 2021 17:54:46 -0600
From:      Jason Bacon <bacon4000@gmail.com>
To:        Julio Merino <julio@meroh.net>, freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Strange graphics issues on G5 with NVIDIA 6600

Yeah, ppc works remarkably well with FreeBSD.=C2=A0 If we just had Firefo=
x=20
and Thunderbird, I could actually use my iMac G5 for my daily work routin=
e.

The nv driver is deprecated and gets very little attention these days.=C2=
=A0=20
You might be better off swapping in a Radeon card.=C2=A0 Not sure which o=
ne=20
would work well with ppc.=C2=A0 The one in my PowerMac G5 only seems to=20
support 640x480 under FreeBSD 12.1.

Have fun...

 =C2=A0=C2=A0=C2=A0 JB

On 1/11/21 12:09 AM, Julio Merino wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> It has been a long time since I touched FreeBSD last... but I recently =
got
> a PowerMac G5 (because!) and FreeBSD seems to be the only reasonable ch=
oice
> these days for such a machine. So... I'm back here :)
>
> First of all, and to be honest, everything has worked better than expec=
ted.
> I could get the system installed without trouble and I've been surprise=
d to
> see that there are now pre-built binary packages for powerpc64 availabl=
> out of the box! A very nice surprise. Last time I tried this on a simil=
ar
> machine 7 years ago, I remember having to build a ton of stuff from
> scratch, which wasn't fun...
>
> So... I have installed X.org and, on the first attempt to run it, I got=
 the
> following video output:
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/R1bx4FCRD7aRKG9x9
>
> Note that the colors are all off and that half of the screen is "strang=
e":
> the background is split in two colors. This picked up the scfb driver.
>
> This machine comes with an NVIDIA 6600, so I manually installed
> xf86-driver-nv to give it another try. With the nv driver, I got this:
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/U7Yx3zs2YfND25ks7
>
> In this case, the colors are good and things mostly work... but note th=
at
> the background problem is still there. And if I maximize something like=

> xterm, the same thing happens: the top of the window has the right whit=
> color, but more than half is black and has some rendering artifacts:
>
> https://photos.app.goo.gl/kWacbVNXAB8cpqHJ9
>
> Lastly, with the nv driver, when I exit Xorg I'm left with a console wi=
th
> extremely faint text. There is no brightness.
>
> Here is the X.org startup log: https://pastebin.com/srgPiUiu
>
> Any thoughts or things I could try? I remember the other machine I had
> years ago had this same card and gave me some trouble too, because I
> remember buying a Radeon to replace it. Maybe I should do the same thin=
> now? :-/
>
> Thank you!

--=20
Earth is a beta site.