Date:      Sun, 1 Jan 2012 05:49:58 -0500
From:      Janos Dohanics <web@3dresearch.com>
To:        Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Single user mode exits unexpectedly

On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 09:39:41 +0100
Polytropon <freebsd@edvax.de> wrote:

> On Sat, 31 Dec 2011 00:57:04 -0500, Janos Dohanics wrote:
> > I have just rebuilt world and kernel according to the Handbook,
> > installed the new kernel, rebooted, logged in, issued "sudo shutdown
> > now" - the machine entered single user mode, then immediately exited
> > without any intervention by me and continued to boot into multiuser
> > mode.
>
> That's not the procedure required. From the comment section
> of /usr/src/Makefile:
>
>  1.  `cd /usr/src'       (or to the directory containing your source
> tree).
>  2.  `make buildworld'
>  3.  `make buildkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'     (default is
> GENERIC).
>  4.  `make installkernel KERNCONF=YOUR_KERNEL_HERE'   (default is
> GENERIC). [steps 3. & 4. can be combined by using the "kernel" target]
>  5.  `reboot'        (in single user mode: boot -s from the loader
> prompt).
>  6.  `mergemaster -p'
>  7.  `make installworld'
>  8.  `make delete-old'
>  9.  `mergemaster'            (you may wish to use -i, along with -U
> or -F).
> 10.  `reboot'
> 11.  `make delete-old-libs' (in case no 3rd party program uses them
> anymore)
>
> Step 5: reboot _into_ single user mode. After installing
> the kernel and shutting down the system, let it come up
> to the kernel loader. You can enter that stage by pressing
> the space bar several times. If I remember correctly,
> you'll then see prompt

Well, rebuilt World, kernel, installed kernel, rebooted into single
user mode, installed world, but still have the same problem. When going
from multi user mode to single user mode: the computer immediately exits
single user mode and boots into multi user mode. When starting the
system and booting into single user mode, this does not happen.

I'd appreciate your suggestions...

--
Janos Dohanics