Date:      Fri, 13 Mar 1998 22:06:50 +0200 (EET)
From:      mika ruohotie <bsdhack@shadows.aeon.net>
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: "Best" Fast Ethernet Card

yaiks, i dont like being over 1200 messages behind on my mailing lists...

> >The SMC cards *ARE* DEC chipsets.
>    The key word in the above is "new". The SMC9432TX uses the SMC83c170
> chip, NOT the DEC chip. We have preliminary support for it in the 'tx'

another question... some other manufacturers, like accton (opinions about
this firm greatly appreciated) uses some 21140 chips still, in both
standard 10/100 and then in this weird 10base2/10baset/100basetx card,
which all work, at least used to, with freebsd.

the chip in those cards used to be 21140-AE, now it seems the last card
i got is 21140-AF, any difference? i mean major? i think i started to have
some problems with those 21140-AE cards just recently. (my -currents are
nowadays about a month old)

i'm planning in testing the 21140-AF card this weekend with up-to-date
current.

> >Is there  a difference between the PRO/100B and PRO/100+?
>    The Pro/100+ uses the 82558 chip, which has an integrated PHY. It is
> software compatible and performs identically to the Pro/100B.

is this pro/100+ using the same chip that i found from this ANOTHER
accton cheetah card? or is it pro/100B alike ship? or complitely
different one?

it's intel made, and reads:

	S82557
	L7064277
	SL24Z

i dunno how much cheaper this one is, it's rather irrelevant, i only
am interested in seeing how it performs... but it is cheaper.

[two hours of hitting my head to different walls]

uh, i hate to answer my own questions... it appears to introduce
itself as:

fxp0: <Intel EtherExpress Pro 10/100B Ethernet> rev 0x02 int a irq 10 on pci0.10.0

> -DG

mickey