Date:      Tue, 25 Nov 1997 12:36:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Charlie Roots <osiris2002@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEEEEEELP

On Sat, 22 Nov 1997, Charlie Roots wrote:

> No one can thank you enough for the extremely stable FreeBSD operating
> system, you have opened our eys for the future.
> One questions please:
> Downloads in FreeBSD is about 5 to 6 time slower than windows 95 on
> the same machine, with the same  connection type to the net, and same
> ISP, and even at the same times of day or night.
> Now, Netstat shows no Collisions or lost packet, pppd connects
> immediately with no delays or hangups, ifconfig reports the ppp0 is
> UP, MULTICAST, RUNNING
> MTU is 1500, DNS lookups work almost instantly resolving any name, I
> have been looking for an answer in mailing lists, FAQs, usenet,
> e-mailing bunch of Sysops, YOU ARE MY LAST RESORT.

So you are trying to download stuff via modem.

1.  Make sure that you are running your modem at the same speed the Win95
box is running his.
2.  Make sure you enable the same options on your modem as is on the Win95
box.
3.  Try switching modems and configuring appropriately.

I bet that one machine has a 14.4 modem vs. a 28.8, or the modem in the
FreeBSD box isn't connecting at it's fastest speed.