Date:      Sun, 26 May 2002 15:07:41 -0700
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Martin Karlsson <martin.karlsson@visit.se>
Cc:        Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.ORG>, Brad Knowles <brad.knowles@skynet.be>, Rahul Siddharthan <rsidd@online.fr>, Annelise Anderson <andrsn@ANDRSN.STANFORD.EDU>, Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>, Alexey Dokuchaev <danfe@regency.nsu.ru>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Dual language (was: cvs commit: src/sys/alpha/alpha clock.c)
References:  <3CEAE187.FC1CC966@mindspring.com> <p0511171eb910959a28f6@[10.0.1.4]> <20020522050350.GA266@lpt.ens.fr> <20020523124604.Z45715@wantadilla.lemis.com> <20020523061551.GA237@lpt.ens.fr> <20020523155541.H230@wantadilla.lemis.com> <20020523063222.GA470@lpt.ens.fr> <p0511170eb9127dabc846@[10.0.1.8]> <20020525075741.GC630@foo31-146.visit.se> <20020525175337.F84264@wantadilla.lemis.com> <20020526094106.GA345@foo31-146.visit.se>

Martin Karlsson wrote:
> But sometimes there's (for historical reasons) a certain amount of
> animosity between the speakers of the two languages, and when the
> minority language really _is_ spoken by a minority (say 5% of the
> population), this, quite naturally causes "linguistic friction".
>
> There are studies that show that a speaker of a minority language
> tends to be sentenced to harsher punishments, for instance.

Maybe in countries where the people speaking the languages hold
grudges for forever; but in the U.S., studies have shown that
non-Spanish speakers don't get sentenced to harsher sentences in
counties in Southern California and Miami, where Spanish is now
the majority language.

> If one writes to some kind of authority, asking for a permit or
> whatnot, chances are that the request will simply be ignored, either
> because the receiver doesn't understand the writers language, or
> because he/she doesn't _want_ to understand

I think that most U.S. citizens will take this as evidence that the
government you are speaking of is corrupt.

Using language or ethnicity (when it's even discernible) as a
controlling factor in public policy administration is generally viewed
as corruption, by definition, by U.S. citizens.

Many parts of India, the former Russia, and Eastern European countries
and the middle East have this problem.  The former Russian Republics
make this really obvious, now that in many of them the "dominant
language" situation has become inverted.

There are plenty of news reports having to deal with commerce that
discuss, for example, how long it takes to get a business license
in various provinces in India, if you are unwilling or unable to
bribe someone.  The time is measured in months or even years.  It's
also the general impression in the U.S. -- among the educated who
have access to news sources other than television -- that most of
the former Russia is under the control of the Russian Mafia, and
that the rule of law is practically suspended.  In the worst areas
of the U.S., the amount of time is three weeks (that's the same
three weeks for everyone: it's bureaucracy).  In Singapore, you
can turn around the same application in a single day, and be in
business in your shop in the mall the next day -- regardless of
the language you speak.

You can blame this on language conflicts, or the ethnic conflicts
that are at the root of differences in language... a common example
held up in this regard is Cypress, with the division of the Island
between two opposed political forces, Turkish and Greek.  But the
real answer is non-uniform enforcement of the rule of law.

Frankly, most people in the U.S. simply can't understand the ethnic
based conflicts in various parts of the world.  From the general
population's point of view, it's impossible to tell an ethnic Serb
from an ethnic Croat, unless one of them stands up at a podium and
yells "_I_ am an _ethnic Serb_!".

> I don't think minority languages will survive all by themelves. If
> one wants to speak a minority language, one will have to fight for
> the right to do so.
>
> example: There are three indigenous ethnic groups in Sweden: Swedes,
> Lapps and Finns, but only one official language, Swedish. I think
> this will remain like it is, simply because it would be too
> expensive (for the government) to provide services in Finnish or
> Lapp. Thinking of this makes me feel ashamed of my country.

Counter-example: There are many ethnic groups in the United States,
and there is no officially recognized language, despite the best
efforts of people who want to pin it at English, so as to avoid the
measurably ineffective bilingual education which occurs any place
there are large immigrant populations.  Eating the expense, which
makes you ashamed because your country won't eat the same expense,
is costing the U.S. billions upon billions of dollars in lost
productivity, and is in fact entrenching the ghettoization of the
people taught that way.  For U.S. residents: name one professor
with tenure at a U.S. University who has taught a class in which you
were enrolled, and who did not speak English.

Despite the benefits of adopting a single official language, in
terms of transportability of a primary education to a University
setting: a benefit for the students, the U.S. continues to deny
that a language divide is a problem.

Second counter-example: many of the former Russian republics have
official languages, the best overall description of which is really
"anything but Russian".  Kazhakstan is probably the best known to
people in the U.S. (and most likely that's as much because of the
fact that it ends in "stan" like "Afghanistan", as for the brush-fire
conflict that flares up periodically between it and Russia).

-- Terry