Date:      Tue, 7 Apr 1998 12:07:06 -0700
From:      "Michael P. Sale" <mike@merchantsnet.com>
To:        <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: mounting floppy file systems

-----Original Message-----
From: Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To: Michael P. Sale <mike@merchantsnet.com>
Cc: freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG <freebsd-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG>
Date: Monday, April 06, 1998 9:07 PM

>On Mon, Apr 06, 1998 at 07:30:39PM -0700, Michael P. Sale wrote:
>> Yikes,
>>
>> What a mess!
>
>[sigh] I'll see if I can tidy it up a bit. Why are you using microslop
>anyway?

Sorry......Seemed to work at the time, and now with all my filters in place
I've been to busy (lazy) to change.

>>>Not necessarily.
>
>> Mmmmm.  OK, then how does one get it to work?  Fess up the info.
>
>If I understand this stuff correctly, you don't need /etc/fstab at
>all, but you do need to be specific when you give the mount command.
>
>You can use /etc/fstab to make life easier though. I tell it to
>expect a CD to be mounted on /cdrom, so when I say "mount /cdrom"
>mount goes hunting around in fstab and gets the rest of the info,
>that it's a CD9660. You could do the same thing with floppies, have a
>directory called /floppy and put the relevant info in fstab. I'd
>never bother for floppies.

I'll look into it, but I suspect you are correct.

>> >So what happens, what does it say, when it doesn't work?
>>
>> Not sure what you're lookin for here.  When what does not work?
>
>Hmmm... that was to be MY question :-)
>
>> If you are talking about file system incompatibility, win95 would
>> declare a freebsd formatted disk unformatted.  Funny though.  When
>> I would mount a dos disk with only mount /dev/fd0, freebsd would
>> mount, write and read the disk. Win95 would read the disk as
>> formatted, but would not see any files on it......
>
>No I wasn't, and I'm not likely to come across what you described
>there so I don't want to confuse myself over it just now.

>Maybe you wouldn't have felt like that if it'd worked first go?

Ah ha!  That's why I brought it up. :-)

>> >Now that I take a quick look at the book, it seems to be saying
>> >"this is a lead-in _example_ of how you would do it with a ufs
>> >floppy, but of course you'll be using FAT floppies as described
>> >over the page, for reasons given over the page"
>>
>> True.  That was the intended use from the beginning.  I was trying
>> to get my ppp.conf file over from the freebsd box to win95 so I
>> could post it in questions.  :-) I did not however understand that
>> I would need to treat the disk differently until a lot of searching
>> and reading later.
>
>It's a pity you didn't know how incredibly simple this task could
>have been. All you need is something like:
>
>mcopy /etc/ppp/ppp.conf a:

True, though now that I do know it, I'll probably be less likely to go to
mtools.

>> >Yeah? Well what is your xxxx error? No secrets now! :-)
>>
>> Error reads as follows:
>> mount: /A: No such file or directory
>
>         ::BINGO::
>
>It tells you what's gone wrong. Why didn't you say that in the first
>place? I know, that would have made it a straightforward question and
>you wouldn't have had the chance to chat :-)

[sigh] I understand what it means, just not why it shows up.

>> >I very much doubt that that is what you would want to do.
>>
>> Why not?  <clueless look>
>
>You don't need, and I can't imagine why you'd want, to have floppy
>stuff in your fstab, even if you were masochistic enough to ignore
>mtools and try to mount and unmount the things.

Yikes.....I guess after my last comment I'm going to have to subscribe to
masochists anonymous. :-(

I appreciate the mtools information, but I can't see any advantage to using
them and no one has given me any.  Mounting/unmounting  the floppy is as
easy as writing 2 quick scripts. (Masochistically doen allready) :-)  I
appreciate advice (really, I do!), but without the facts behind the advice
it's hard for me to justify learning something new when I have so much to
learn, and I can't see a difference in changing.

>Also, if you had the best help in the world to frill up your fstab
>and get the mounting commands just right, it still wouldn't mount for
>you if /A didn't exist or couldn't be found.

We still have not aswered the "why can't it be found" question.

>> >Generally DOS formatted floppies are used (read on to see why),
>> >and there's two ways I know of to access them. Either they can be
>> >mounted (with a command that says they're DOS or with an fstab
>> >entry), or you can skip all that baloney and use the easier mtools
>> >(described later in the chapter) which are intuitive, magic, and
>> >don't require mounting to happen.
>>
>> See above comment on how I mounted the dos a third way (didn't work
>> correctly)......Either way, I tried several different mount (no
>> mtools) tactics with the /A and none worked.  The only thing that
>> ever worked was going to the /mnt at the end vs the /A.
>
>And what you're telling yourself here is that the only difference
>between working and not working was the name of the directory. Your
>error message confirms that that's where the problem is.
>
>> As for mtools.  Not sure if I really see an advantage to mtools or
>> not.  The only thing I read that made an impression (granted it was
>> a quick read) was the possible problem with carriage returns
>> getting funked up during copies. Isn't there a unix utility that
>> will fix that too though?
>
>You sound a bit like me, always getting tied up in the most difficult
>looking part of something. In this case, mtools is so simple that
>only the tricky bits need explaining. Forget it. Just use mtools to
>work with floppies. Pretend it's DOS but put "m" as the first letter
>of each command. If your text files get funny characters at the end
>of lines, delete them with your trusty text editor when they annoy.
>When you've become convinced that mtools is wonderful, start looking
>at what else it can do. If it doesn't work, RTFM or experiment.

Again, I appreciate the info, but "just use mtools" does not give me the
information needed to make a decision.  (I'm busy rapping myself on the head
to see just how hard it is right now!)

>> >Well the best you can expect here is to share someone else's
>> >misinformation until it's together enough to make an answerable
>> >question. Sometimes during that process the problem goes away. On
>> >the other hand, that too can be a newbies illusion :-)
>>
>> Yikes!!  I expect better than that!! :-}
>
>Then you should have gone to freebsd-questions and had your question
>ripped to shreds there instead of here :-) They handle the newest
>newbies questions, but they kinda like to know what the problem is
>right up front.

It's a good thing I didn't.  I doubt very much that the questions list would
appreciate this discussion. :-)

>> >See if you read the book the same way as I do now, or not.
>> >
>> Yes and no.  I think I understand where you are going with this.  I
>> have not read enough of the book to really agree or disagree.  I do
>> think that having a chapter with "floppy disks" in the title should
>> either fully explain how to mount the darn things or point the
>> newbie user someplace that can.  I don't think that the pages in
>> that chapter do it.  Again, I have not read the whole book ( I
>> think my poor little melon would explode), much less ever tried to
>> write one, but I do think that the chapter makes a few assumptions
>> that newbies could choke on.  Greg does a great job of dropping
>> hints and pointing readers to other places for information, I just
>> think it may be an option here too.
>
>I'm not saying you're wrong, but I read it differently. The intro to
>the section on floppies gives an "overview", four examples of how
>floppies might be used. The third sounds like what you wanted to do,
>and it points you straight to page 212. I think it should be pointing
>to 213 but no matter, you see the big "Accessing Microsoft floppies"
>heading leaping out on the right there.

I suspect one of two things will happen here.  A:  After reading more of the
book, I will come to read the book as you do.  B:  We will read the book
differently for a looong time.  Either way should be interesting!

>> As a side note, I also understand that you can't have pointers to
>> everything all over the place.  That's why I posted it here, to see
>> whether I was nuts or not and to see if other newbies had the same
>> problems I did.
>
>I've got this theory that no matter how clearly you make
>instructions, the more desperately someone needs them the less they
>are able to take in what they say. When things start going wrong
>there's too much information to take in, let alone sort the
>essentials from the extras. It doesn't help to tell someone they're
>crazy if they can't see it, even when that someone is yourself.
>People just work that way. What do you reckon?

Don't know if I've ever met a crazy that's known it.

Either way, I think the point here has been missed.  The point is that the
book directs a user to do something that is not possible, given the
information available in that chapter.  Period.  It does not direct you to
information that will allow the command mount /etc/fd0 /A to work if it
fails, nor does it offer the workaround mount /etc/fd0 /mnt.  You cannot
mount a freedbsd formatted floppy in the way that is suggested in the
chapter, much less a DOS  one.  Forget mtools, forget that I indeed wanted a
DOS floppy.  You cannot mount anything (even a freebsd formatted floppy) on
my system using the command mount /dev/fd0 /A.

The archives bear out the fact that I am not the only person that has had
this trouble.  The original post was trying to figure out whether or not I
missed something early on in the book that would in fact lead to this
command working correctly as stated on page 211.

I'm sorry above paragraphs may sound abrupt, but I think this thread is
getting off the original topic.

>--
>
>Regards,
>        -*Sue*-
>
>find / -name "*.conf" |more

>with "unsubscribe freebsd-newbies" in the body of the message>

Are we having fun yet?

Mike