Date:      Tue, 26 Mar 2002 15:46:41 -0500
From:      John Von Essen <john@essenz.com>
To:        David Miller <dmiller@sparks.net>, <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: RAID: Adaptec vs Mylex

David,

We have used both Mylex and Adaptec RAID Cards. We stopped using Mylex
because those cards had drive compatibility problems. Some Quantum 10k
drives would work with the Mylex card. Ever since that, we've been using
Adaptec 2100S, 3200S, and 2400A Raid cards in our rack servers. In all the
servers we have built with Adaptec cards, not one has had a single problem.
Some units have been running non-stop for almost two years. So I would
definitely recommend going with the Adaptec cards. Not to mention that
Adaptec has made a commitment to provide FreeBSD support on their RAID
products (i.e. drivers).

John Von Essen
President, Essenz Consulting (www.essenz.com)
EMAIL: john@essenz.com