Date:      Sun, 25 Jul 2004 13:39:11 +0100
From:      Matthew Seaman <m.seaman@infracaninophile.co.uk>
To:        "Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P." <kdk@daleco.biz>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Portupgrade Stale dependency: "specify -O to force"

--TYecfFk8j8mZq+dy

On Sat, Jul 24, 2004 at 11:20:10PM -0500, Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. wro=
te:
> Rob wrote:

> >When I use commands from the portupgrade port, I get this message:
> >
> >  Stale dependency: kde-3.2.3 --> autoconf-2.57_1 -- manually run
> >  'pkgdb -F' to fix, or specify -O to force.
> >
> >I wanted to use the '-O' option, but that does not seem to exist.
> >I've tried 'pkgdb -O' or 'pkgdb -FO'
> >
> >Is this '-O' suggestion mistake in the portupgrade port?
> >
> >How can I use the force option?

> Hmm, pretty sure that should be a little "o".  At least that's
> what the help screen and the manpage seem to indicate...
>=20
> <kadmin@archangel> [/usr/ports]=20
> [23:16]                                                                  =
  =20
> % pkgdb --help
> pkgdb rev.1.69
>=20
> usage: pkgdb [-hafFQQquv] [-c pkgname] [-o pkgname] [-s=20
> /old_pkgname/new_pkgname/] [file ...]
>=20
>    -h, --help                     Show this message

The message is a mite confusing.  It means you should either run:

    # pkgdb -F

to fix up the dependency records within /var/db/pkg before you run
portupgrade(1), or that you should run:

    # portupgrade -O ...

to tell portupgrade to omit the dependency checks as it does its work.
The former is considerably preferable to the latter.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

--=20
                                                      Savill Way