Date:      Wed, 4 Dec 1996 00:09:12 +0100
From:      se@FreeBSD.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        joerg_wunsch@uriah.heep.sax.de, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.org, se@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Racal Interlan ethernet card: any good?

On Dec 2, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte) wrote:
> Dec  2 21:15:26 yedi /kernel: pci0:9:    AMD, device=0x2000, class=network
> (ethernet) int a irq 9 [no driver assigned]
> Dec  2 21:15:26 yedi /kernel:   map(10): io(e400)

Just configure your kernel to test for an ISA Lance (lnc0) at
port 0xe400, irq 9, and it should work.

> >> Yep, it did see the card. But it sez: no driver assigned

Ok. As I read a few lines ago, this is -stable, and well,
there currently is no support for the NE2000 or Lance PCI
clones in -stable.

I is not so hard to add, though, if I use a slightly different
approach than I did for -current. The problem is, that the
watchdog function uses an integer unit number under -stable,
but receives a pointer to a struct under -current.

PCI cards don't have a ISA device structure (that could be
indexed by the unit number), but it is very easy to work around
this. I may have time to do this next week, since it seems I
finally am allowed to take a vacation (from December 5th until
January 5th :)

> Dec  2 21:15:28 yedi /kernel: sio0: probe test 3 failed

> >> The sio's are no longer probed correctly (there's 2 of the onboard
> (Asus), and 4 on a AST/4 card). This only happens when the Racal is in
> the machine, rest unchanged.
>
> Dec  2 21:15:28 yedi /kernel: sio0 not found at 0x3f8
> Dec  2 21:15:28 yedi /kernel: sio1 not found at 0x2f8
> Dec  2 21:15:28 yedi /kernel: sio2 not found at 0x1a0
> Dec  2 21:15:28 yedi /kernel: sio3 not found at 0x1a8
> Dec  2 21:15:28 yedi /kernel: sio4 not found at 0x1b0
> Dec  2 21:15:28 yedi /kernel: sio5 not found at 0x1b8
> Dec  2 21:15:28 yedi /kernel: si0 not found

Don't know what fails, but you may get an idea from searching
for the "probe test 3 failed" message in the driver sources.
(But you knew that before :)

> Stefan: if you want to borrow the Racal I can mail 'm to you. If you
> want me to do so email me a shipping address.

No, thanks, it wouldn't really help. The card will work under -current,
and I can't easily compile and boot a -stable kernel.

I can send you patches that should work out of the box, since they don't
actually change the driver, they just provide the watchdog handler with
the expected argument, even if the kernel offers the index into the device
array only ...

Regards, STefan