Date:      09 May 1999 13:49:13 -0400
From:      Shaun Rowland <rowland@cis.ohio-state.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NFS question..

> On Sun, 9 May 1999, Keith Stevenson wrote:
>
> > > Someone wanna clear the situation up before I install RH5.2?? (The original
> > > question being, can I export on a per-directory basis from my 3.1-STABLE
> > > machine, without exporting the entire local filesystem?)

If I understand you correctly, yes.  This is a look at my system:

[rowland@dhcp9540076 rowland]$ df -k
Filesystem  1K-blocks     Used    Avail Capacity  Mounted on
/dev/wd0s1a     31743    20627     8577    71%    /
/dev/wd2s1f   1414895   596818   704886    46%    /home
/dev/wd0s1f  10847082  2251228  7728088    23%    /usr
/dev/wd0s1e     29751     4675    22696    17%    /var
procfs              4        4        0   100%    /proc

I can export the directory /usr/local/mp3 to my laptop without
exporting /usr.

> Hmmm... I wonder if 3.1-RELEASE is broken? I can't do the same; if I put
> /var/spool/pcnfs into /etc/exports without exporting /var, all I get is:
>
> May  9 19:26:02 crydee mountd[1723]: could not remount /var/spool/pcnfs:
> Invalid argument
> May  9 19:26:02 crydee mountd[1723]: bad exports list line
> /var/spool/pcnfs                -alldirs        -network 195.208.220 -mask
> 255.255.255.0
>
> and /var/spool/pcnfs is not listed in `showmount -e' output.

This is a piece of the exports man page:

     In a mount entry, the first field(s) specify the directory path(s) within
     a server filesystem that can be mounted on by the corresponding
     client(s).  There are two forms of this specification.  The first is to
     list all mount points as absolute directory paths separated by whites-
     pace.  The second is to specify the pathname of the root of the filesys-
     tem followed by the -alldirs flag; this form allows the host(s) to mount
     at any point within the filesystem, including regular files if the -r op-
     tion is used on mountd.  The pathnames must not have any symbolic links
     in them and should not have any "." or ".." components.  Mount points for
     a filesystem may appear on multiple lines each with different sets of
     hosts and export options.

If you use the -alldirs flag it placed after the root of a filesystem
which you want to allow the client(s) to mount any directory under.
Therefore, you could do:

/var -alldirs -network 195.208.220 -mask 255.255.255.0

in /etc/exports to allow clients to mount any directory under /var.
If all you want to do is export /var/spool/pcnfsd, don't use -alldirs.
I have a 3.1-STABLE box and I can export a directory on my /usr
filesystem to my laptop across a VPN.  This is my /etc/exports file:

# This is for the laptop to add mp3 files to the Rio player.
/usr/local/mp3 -webnfs laptop.vpn0.domain

I believe I did this in 3.1-RELEASE as well.
--
Shaun Rowland   rowland@cis.ohio-state.edu
IICF System Administrator  	DL798