Date:      Fri, 10 May 1996 01:28:38 +0200
From:      Angelo Turetta <ATuretta@stylo.it>
To:        "'freebsd-questions'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>, "'freebsd-isp@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-isp@freebsd.org>
Subject:   How to add a delay before getty displays login prompt ?

this format, some or all of this message may not be legible.  Contact your
mail administrator for information about upgrading your reader to a version
that supports MIME.

------ =_NextPart_000_01BB3E0F.CDC4A9F0

I'm setting up a few dial-in ports equipped with US-Robotics Sportster 28.8
V34 modems. The PC is a 386-40/8MB, dedicated to this task, running FreeBSD
2.1.0R.

This are the ttys lines I'm using
	cuaa2   "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"   dialup on secure

	# Stallion EasyIO/8
	cue0    "/usr/libexec/getty std.38400"   dialup on secure

Just after the carrier goes up, about at the same time the client reports
'CONNECT 28800', the server hangs up the call.
This happens about 33% times when using a normal 16550 port (cuaa2), and
about 75% times when the modem is connected to a Stallion EasyIO/8.

I suspect that getty is displaying the prompt string a little too early for
the Sportster, and often the modem is still in the phase where any character
from the host aborts the connection.
Reading 'man gettytab' I've not found any parameter to instert a delay
between the DCD and the first write.

Any experience with that ? Am I wrong with some configuration item ?

Thanks in advance.

Angelo.

 Angelo Turetta                         mailto:aturetta@stylo.it
 Stylo Multimedia - Bologna - Italy         http://www.stylo.it/