Date:      Fri, 07 Aug 2015 07:00:05 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Highest version with VGA fonts

> What is the highest version of FreeBSD which still uses VGA fonts and CONS*
> consoles (i.e. no raster fonts, no unicode, plain old iso-8859-1) in plain
> text mode?

> Is there a BSD branch that is sticking with true text consoles?

> Lars Eighner

Not sure about the current status for OpenBSD, Bitrig and DragonFly, but I know NetBSD (current and releng 7), when booting, quickly switches to small text like what occurs in FreeBSD after switching back from X to text console.

FreeBSD, on booting with vt, not yet in X, goes into a larger version of this, somewhat smaller than what comes with syscons.  I like the small text better!

Tom