Date:      Wed, 22 Mar 1995 20:18:49 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        PVinci@ix.netcom.com (Paul Vinciguerra)
Cc:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ata/ide sector translation modes c/h/s vs. LBA?

> I know you all must now be tired of all the ATA questions, but ...
>
> Why does the ATA standard make such a big stink about LBA mode??

Because it is *new*, and allows you to use drives >536870912 bytes.

> As I see it, either way, you  have to translate either mode into:
>
> 	Sector Number
> 	Cylinder Low
> 	Cylinder High
> 	Dev/Head
>
> So, how does LBA mode improve performance -- isn't it just a different
> set of calculations that need be done before *Each* command??  Am I
> missing something?

It greatly simplifies the calculation for this.  Basically a drive
in LBA mode has 256 sectors, 16 heads and upto 1024 cylinders.

The bios can then simply use OR and SHIFT to get a logical block
number.

I am leaving out lots of details, I have not yet unassembled awards
LBA code so I am not sure of all the details, but that is the just
of it.