Date:      Tue, 22 Nov 2005 00:50:26 +0100 (CET)
From:      Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@tensor.3miasto.net>
To:        John Fox <jjf@mind.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of 6.0 for production systems

> I remember back a while when 5.x had been recently released
> as STABLE and the conventional wisdom said not to use it in
> production until the 5.3 release.
>
> Is there any such conventional wisdom as regards 6.x?

my home system is actually production system that can't be stopped for a
long time. i moved finally from NetBSD for various reasons including real
SMP support (real=not crashing and not all-giant lock).

what i can say is

1) performance is excellent. maybe it should be named FastBSD not FreeBSD :)

2) it DO has bugs, but i already filtered those than can make a problems
for me.

3) first bug - kldunload means danger. many kernel modules just crash the
system when unloaded. solution: just don't do it, not a real problem.

4) using kernel-ppp+pppd=crash after not a long time. that forced my to
learn user ppp(8) which is actually MUCH better. same solution as 3.
anyway i don't see any reason why kernel ppp is maintained at all. user
ppp+tun interface works perfect.

5) sio driver has bugs. no crashes but overruns are reported by thousands
unless i patched sio.c to increase buffer eightfold. the real bug is
somewhere else, and can always be repeated with just
dd if=/dev/ad0 bs=1m of=/dev/null

the larger bs - the larger buffer have to be set to fix it until some
value than enlarging bs to anything doesn't break things at all.

i don't know how this all works in kernel so have no idea about the real
fix.

but this fix is enough for now. if you don't use high-speed serial it
shouldn't be a problem for you anyway.

6) still have to learn ipfw more, an excellent tool! incomparably better
than NetBSD's ipf!

found no bugs on other things and system works stable. for 4 days now but
stable without any problems, having stable 921kbps ppp link (which is my
outbound connection) and all userlevel programs working fine.