Date:      Mon, 14 Apr 1997 12:04:37 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      Maartje van der Heide <maartje@simplex.nl>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Cc:        maartje@simplex.nl
Subject:   Micropolis 3243 7200 rpm in a newsmachine?

Hello,

While upgrading my newsmachine the first two days I lost 2
Micropolis harddisks.
One of the 1.5 year old disks (older type but 7200 rpm)
only made alot of noise after restarting the machine, and
the replacement Micropolis harddisk that worked fine in a
Windows 95 machine, showed alot of bad blocks after being
placed in the newsmachine. So we again replaced it, this
time with a grand new Micropolis 3243 3.5" 1.625" high.
And now, about three weeks later this one gave up too (too
many bad blocks to reallocate).
(It's one of three 4 Gb Micropolis harddisks (SCSI)
concatenated for the newsdata, fun fun, gone gone)

Now, is this just bad luck, since we had the micropolis harddisks
working for one and half year without a single problem?
The rotational speed is 7200 rpm, is it too much for a newsmachine
(will it heat up too much) ? Or will there be no problem when I
buy a separate box to hold (and cool) the disks?

Thanks in advance,

Maartje van der Heide
Sysop Simplex
maartje@simplex.nl