Date:      Wed, 27 Sep 2000 23:09:25 -0400
From:      "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>
To:        nsayer@kfu.com
Cc:        "Sean O'Connell" <sean@stat.Duke.EDU>, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: UP kernel on SMP machine?

Nick Sayer stated:
: Sean O'Connell wrote:
: >
: > Nick Sayer stated:
: [...]
: > : 1. When I reboot the machine, it never actually reboots. The screen
: > : clears after FreeBSD says it's going to reboot, but you never see the
: > : BIOS again.
: >
: > Is this a Digital PC?  I see this with all of my Digital-branded
: > PCs (all uniprocessor though).  I acutally have to do a shutdown -h
: > or -p and power cycle it.   It is a royal PITA (I cannot remote
: > boot any of them).
:
: You called it. It's a DEC. It's a 440LX based PII-333. I can't read the
: model number from here (1000 miles away).

Well, I'll be.  Mine are 440LX based machines PII-233's.  One is a
Digital PC 3500 and my home box is 5510.  I just thought it was me :)
There must be something whacky with the BIOS on these guys.  Although,
I could swear (almost positive) that I used to be able to reboot my
home box from work (via adsl) under either 3.x or early 4.0-current.

Maybe some of the developers could make some sense of this?  I am using
the latest BIOS on these puppies (maybe that's the problem).

: Any idea about the SIGPROF issue?

Nope.  I'll have to dig back through the archives.  I deleted that
email :(

Sean O'Connell                                       sean@stat.Duke.EDU