Date:      Wed, 24 Nov 2004 17:26:37 -0800
From:      pete wright <nomadlogic@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: VMWare

> Good luck getting it to run FreeBSD in the first place.  If you search
> Google, you'll find one informative thread on the community forums
> that will help you getting 4.x to run, but I've yet to manage to
> convince the 5.x installer that I do indeed have a hard disk.
>
> FreeBSD is also not officially supported, as far as I can tell.  They
> claim that 4.5 is a 'qualified guest operating system', but there's no
> option to create a FreeBSD virtual machine - you must create another
> operating system and manually edit the .vmx configuration file to
> tell it that it's FreeBSD.

i've had no problems running multiple copies of FreeBSD (4.x and 5.x)
as well as openBSD as a vmware guest.  as far as using FreeBSD as the
host OS, I have not tried it but it does not look like it would work
easily (or atleast w/o using /compat/linux).  In fact I will generally
run a upcoming release as a VMware guest before roling it out to my
machines to test basic functionality, scripts etc...

> Usermode Linux achieves most of what ESX does.  I don't know of
> anything for a BSD.

I assume you can get some of the functionality from jail (8, 2).

-pete

--
~~o0OO0o~~
Pete Wright