Date:      Wed, 15 Apr 1998 19:16:45 -0500 (CDT)
From:      "Matthew D. Fuller" <fullermd@futuresouth.com>
To:        Chuck Robey <chuckr@glue.umd.edu>
Cc:        chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: asbestos suited static vi

On Tue, 14 Apr 1998, Chuck Robey wrote:

> You realize how simple it is?  There's nothing like you hint above, just
> one line:
>
> make NOSHARED=1 clean depend all install
>
> that's it, done and installed, in the correct directory.  Oh, I didn't
> include that you have to do it from the vi source directory, and you
> have to actually have the sources.  It's not some big song and dance.
> This, of course, changes what all books on BSD unix will tell you, and
> specifically contradicts those few texts that tell you something about
> how to handle emergencies, but if you read that much, you ought to be
> able to handle the difference.
Well, every text I've seen on handling emergencies says something like:
'When this happens, you system may be so screwed that you'll have to use
vi to edit these files...', which is the whole reason I learned vi in the
first place.  An assumption in all the texts I've read and advice I've
gotten from various sources is that you may not have pico/joe/emacs that
you like, and you'll have to use vi.

Also, the above assumes source on hand, which isn't true in a lot of
cases.

> If you don't, heck, vi is probably the wrong editor anyhow, you'd want
> ee, which is simple enough for anyone.
>
> Last comment: if you really want a port, did you realize it's ALREADY
> there?  Look at /usr/ports/editors/nvi.

Interesting.  No, I didn't see it there.  I used to scan through the ports
every couple weeks thinking 'Hm, what can I play with now?', but since I
now have 30 megs free on /usr (out of a gig!) I haven't been doing that.
What IS that doing there?  If it's in the base system, why do we have a
port of it?  Different version?
Hmm, my /usr/ports/editors/nvi doesn't have a Makefile.  Interesting.

Does the port compile static?

|       FreeBSD; the way computers were meant to be       |
* "The only reason I'm burning my candle at both ends, is *
| that I haven't figured out how to light the middle yet."|
*    fullermd@futuresouth.com      :-}  MAtthew Fuller    *
|      http://keystone.westminster.edu/~fullermd          |