Date:      Thu, 27 Jun 2002 08:05:56 -0700
From:      bmah@FreeBSD.ORG (Bruce A. Mah)
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        Robert bobb Crosbie <bobb+freebsd-doc@redbrick.dcu.ie>, Niall Brady <bradyn@maths.tcd.ie>, <freebsd-doc@FreeBSD.ORG>, bmah@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: *Solved* (was Re: Tracking down the PS/PDF image problem)

--==_Exmh_-907105281P

If memory serves me right, Nik Clayton wrote:

Comments in-line...odd thing is that I now have a working PDF file
built on a different box.

> I played a hunch, after realising that your EPS files were different to
> the ones my system was generating.
>
> First, I verified that the problem still existed on my system.
>
> Then, I removed the netpbm ports, and all its dependencies.
>
>     pkg_delete -f netpbm-10.2 jpeg-6b_1 png-1.2.3 tiff-3.5.7 jbigkit-1.4
>
> Then I commented out the following lines in /etc/make.conf
>
>     #CPUTYPE=3Dp3
>     #CFLAGS=3D -O -pipe
>     #COPTFLAGS=3D -O -pipe
>
> Then I did
>
>     portupgrade -rRN netpbm
>
> And now it all works.  So it was either the general optimisation, or the
> specific optimisations from the CPUTYPE line introducing a bug into
> pnmtops.
>
> Bruce, you probably want to check your /etc/make.conf for similar
> optimisations, and remove them.

None of my machines have ever set CPUTYPE, CFLAGS, or COPTFLAGS.  I'd
show you, but the machine from which I gave the pkg_version output is
down (it's being moved this weekend).

*However*, this prompted me to check a build of the doc tree I did on
a different workstation.  Amazingly, it had an intact PDF handbook!
Looking very quickly over the pkg_version diffs, the main difference I
can see is that the machine on which I had a bad build was using
netpbm-9.25, and the machine on which I had a successful build has
netpbm-10.2.

An obvious thing to try (which I can't do until next week) is to update
netpbm on the problematic machine.  I'll report results when I can do
this.  It could be that a successful build requires netpbm-10.2 *built
without CPU-specific optimization*.

> I've verified that the Handbook now builds properly with images, so the
> build early tomorrow morning my time should be fine.  That'll be
> uploaded to ftp-master at around 21:30 PDT, and should then propogate to
> the other FTP mirrors as normal.

On that note...you might be interested in looking at doc/release/Makefile.

It's something roughly analogous to src/release/Makefile for the doc
directory; after a commit I just made, it can produce an FTP area
similar to what we use on ftp-master, as well as an ISO image with the
uncompressed renditions of the doc files.

In any case, thanks to Nik for analyzing this problem, and to Robert
and Niall for providing data!

Bruce.

--==_Exmh_-907105281P

--==_Exmh_-907105281P--