Date:      Tue, 3 Oct 2000 15:29:17 +0300
From:      Ruslan Ermilov <ru@sunbay.com>
To:        Eli Stair <estair@computer-exchange.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: NATD,IPFW error: "Failed to write packet back:Permission denied"

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 08:13:58AM -0400, Eli Stair wrote:

> Hello all! Here's my situation:
>
> I've got a machine running FBSD 4.1 with 2 NIC's, identical 3c905's,
> compiled kernel with IPFIREWALL, IPDIVERT, firewall set to open by default.
> xl0, private interface uses 192.168.0.1, is working ok. xl1, public interface
> configured via DHCP, connected to cable modem, works too. System boots with
> no errors. However, I cannot ping the outside world from any of my internal
> machines, "host not found".

Do you have `gateway_enable' variable set to YES in /etc/rc.conf?
Are you sure your local machines use your host as the default gateway?

> In addition, I cannot ping localhost. When I issue "ping localhost",
> I receive "%time%SHRIKE natd[%pid%]:failed to write packet back
> (Permission Denied)"

This is most typically the firewall misconfiguration.
Send me the output of the following commands from the live machine:
# ipfw list
# ifconfig -a inet
# netstat -rn -finet

> Dumb question is does this have to be configured for IPFW/NATD to work.
> If so is there any way I can pass parameters to this from DHCLIENT at boot
> time, as the "oip" is going to change frequently since have (*yuck*) 3-way
> cable with telephone.

> # set these to your outside interface network and netmask and ip
> oif="xl1"
> onet="24.216.250.0"
> omask="255.255.255.128"
> oip=""
>
> #I have set these to what is given as output from DHCLIENT on boot.

For OPEN firewall type this is not required.

> Basically I just want make sure the internal network has internet access,
> if I can disable any IPFW rules etc. so that works I will, I'll tighten up
> security later.
>
> My pre-emptive thanks to anyone who can shed light on this, or point my
> nose in the right direction. Right now I just don't know what the next
> step would be. I'm semi-familiar with UNIX, use linux on another box,
> etc. If more info is needed, full rc.firewall etc, I can get it for you.
> Thanks! ;-}
>
> /eli

> everything is set to.
>
> network_interfaces="xl0 xl1"
>
> ifconfig_xl0="inet 192.168.0.1 netmask 255.255.255.0"
>
> ifconfig_xl1="DHCP"
>
> firewall_enable="YES"
>
> firewall_script="/etc/rc.firewall"
>
> firewall_type="OPEN"
>
> firewall_quiet="NO"
>
> firewall_flags=""
>
> natd_program="/sbin/natd"
>
> natd_enable="YES"
>
> natd_interface="xl1"
>
> natd_flags="-dynamic"

Other than unknown value of gateway_enable I would say your setup looks OK.

<PS>Please wrap lines when sending mail.</PS>

--
Ruslan Ermilov		Oracle Developer/DBA,
ru@sunbay.com		Sunbay Software AG,