Date:      Tue, 21 Apr 1998 08:34:16 -0400
From:      "Steve Sims" <SimsS@IBM.Net>
To:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   SILO Overflows

I'm scratching my head over this one....

Last week I installed a 56K/x2 USR Courier V.Everything internal modem in my
puny 486/66 and have been seeing repeated "x more silo overflow (n total)"
messages whenever the CPU gets even *slightly* loaded up.

I've played & tweaked & searched the "questions" archive, but I can't find
the cure.

I've ensured that the modem is using hardware flow control (which,
interestingly enough, was not the factory default) and that the appropriate
tty settings are, in fact, correct.

I'm trying to run the port @ 115.2 - when I've (briefly) tested it @ 57.6 it
seemed to help some, but there were still silo errors when, for example,
making a new kernel and beating the com port simultaneously.

I'd previously had a no-name 56K modem that had a nearly-impossible record
for establishing a connection (often taking up to 4-5 tries to negotiate a
connection).  When that blade was installed, I never got a silo overflow, so
I'm assuming that the V.Everything is *much* faster ;-) ;-)

True Confession:  I took a couple of stabs at tweaking sio.c to set the fifo
threshold lower, but after a while it dawned on me that tweaking the
tx_fifo_size setting was NEVER going to help receive errors, so I gave up.
D'oh!

So, now that I've professed my idiocy, can someone show me the magic bullet
for killing these accursed silo overflow errors?

Thanks!

...sjs...