Date:      Sun, 24 Mar 2002 03:30:22 -0500 (EST)
From:      Peter Leftwich <Hostmaster@Video2Video.Com>
To:        Courtney Thomas <ccthomas@flash.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <FreeBSD-Questions@FreeBSD.Org>
Subject:   Re: So long and thanks for all the fish [telnet vs ssh]

On Sat, 23 Mar 2002, Courtney Thomas wrote:
> More please.

(A female! Omigod! *smiles*)

> Is the security to which you refer achieved only by switches or can it be done by using internal hubs [assuming there is no internal threat] with a switch [at least] connecting the webserver to the outside world.

Webservers and such aside, I was discussing the use of a workstation that
connects to the Internet, and the chain of access via the machine's
ethernet adapter or Network Interface Card (NIC), which is often plugged on
the other end (after a few hundred feet of cat-5 cabling that snakes behind
the walls and up in the ceiling) to a switch or hub that talks to a router.

Super long story short, uhm, skip down to my second comment *smiles*

> Or does this miss the entire point ?

Sort of, but not entirely, it's okay!

> What is the security difference between hubs & switches ? Perhaps this is what I should've asked first :-)

Hubs I believe by default offer bandwidth to connecting workstations on a
"promiscuous" basis, that is, any port can kind of turn around and instead
of saying "hm, is this packet for me, no.. okay is this one for me? no...
etc" say "hm, is this packet for me, no... well it won't hurt to look IN
the packet since I have it in my possession..."

Switches use a dedicated bandwidth paradigm.  Port #2 cannot sniff what's
going on on say, Port #8 (by default), and promiscuously declare "ok all
you packets, please step forward if you contain either [Uu]sername and/or
[Pp]assword in your backpacks.

> Appreciatively,
> Courtney

I just love the name Courtney.  I just had to say that.  Actually, all
girlish names ending in an eee sound are loved by me; Ashley, Chelsey,
Britney, Kelcey, I could go on forever but will spare you this once. :)

--
Peter Leftwich
President & Founder