Date:      Fri, 30 Jan 1998 08:54:53 -0700
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        Johan Allard <allard@netman.se>
Cc:        Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: zp0 multicasting question

> >> I am sitting here and experimenting with my laptop with an 3com 3c589D
> >> card. It works fine with the zp driver from 2.2.5-RELEASE but it doesn't
> >> have any MULTICAST option set in ifconfig.
> >
> >Nope, but if you used the PCCARD version it would have support.
>
> The problem here is that I have a Cirrus Logic GD6832 CardBus controller
> and the release version doesnt support it out of the box.

zp0 supports it and the regular PCCARD code doesn't?  Weird..  I would
have thought that if a controller looked enough like a PCCARD controller
for the zp0 driver to work then it would also work with the GENERIC
driver.

Have you tested the release version?

> >> After som testing i got everything configured and running. The only
> >> problem I have now is that i get really, really bad performance on my
> >> network card. During a regular tcpdump the kernel drops aprox 50% of
> >> all packets. Does anyone have any idea?
> >
> >I'm not sure what if_ep.c driver PAO uses, but if it's the driver in
> >-current that might signify a problem.  It was recently 'simplified',
> >but it turns out the simplification has caused some performance problems
> >that others have noted.
> >
> If you think that moving to -current will solve my problems  i would not
> have any problems with that. Its just that i dont want to spend too much
> time changing release version just to see that it doesnt work there either ;-(

I don't think the driver in -current is much different, unfortunately.
If you have access to the CVS tree, you might try using an older version
of the driver to see if that makes any difference.

Nate