Date:      Thu, 12 Feb 1998 17:50:28 -0500
From:      tcobb@staff.circle.net
To:        eivind@yes.no, winter@jurai.net
Cc:        owensc@enc.edu, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, braam@cs.cmu.edu
Subject:   RE: Coda FS: FBSD port done!, but development favors Linux

I would be able to use such a mechanism right away, particularly for the
storage side of a multimedia database.  If my vote counts at all, I'd
also ask for that 15 minute patch :)  'Twould be wonderful to mount a
partition as an inode-based FS and use it as the storage backend.

- Troy

On Thursday, February 12, 1998 5:48 PM, Matthew N. Dodd wrote:

> I for one would love to see this feature (if indeed you are talking
about
> open by inode#).  It is highly useful for applications that wish to
bypas
> limitations of FS name lookup (bypass the overhead that is) and
implement
> their own faster indexing directly.  News is one such application.
(Store
> article inode# in the overview database and open directly.)
>
> For a big fileserver you aren't likely to have local users that could
take
> advantage of the security problems you describe, and CODA will be
hidning
> that information so remote machines won't be able to abuse it either.
>
> Of course if we had Veritas or XFS we would have no need to open by
inode#
> as they store their metadata in structures that support high speed
lookups
> by nature.
>
> If you wouldn't mind spending the 15 minutes to implement this
> functionality I for one would be most interested in seeing your
patches.

> Would you be implementing a new open call like say iopen().
>
> Are we even talking about the same thing here? :)
>
> On Thu, 12 Feb 1998, Eivind Eklund wrote:
> > It would take about 15 minutes to create this functionality, and it
> > has been discussed before.  It has been decided against on the basis
> > of security.  This break chroot() completely, and it break the
> > protection you presently have when
> >
> > -rwxr-x---     src/
> > -rwxr-xr-x     src/somefile
> >
> > - somefile will be available to an attacker.
> >
> > If this is what it takes to get Coda, I for one won't use it, but I
> > can probably create and commit a kernel option that give the access
> > methods so that others can.
> >
> > It will not be part of FreeBSD in the default configuration, at
least
> > not if I have any say in the matter.  (Sorry to be so brutal, but it
> > really kill a lot of security assumptions.)
> /*
>    Matthew N. Dodd		| A memory retaining a love you had for
life
>    winter@jurai.net		| As cruel as it seems nothing ever
seems to