Date:      Tue, 9 May 2000 08:39:36 +0200 (CEST)
From:      "O. Hartmann" <ohartman@ipamzlx.physik.uni-mainz.de>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   configuring firewall

Dear Sirs.
It may be seems to be a little bit foolish to ask this here, but I hope
someone can give me the necessary "kick" to get over this tall wall.

I want to build up some firewalls with to dedicated NICs. Now I have the
following problem: for testing purposes on the two ends of the filtering system
I have to normal IPs attached. The inner LAN is a stack of WinNT systems,
connecting to the outside world over the inner NIC. The "outer" NIC is
configured "normal" like each other computer in our network, what means:
normal route, normal standard gateway etc. The host on this end which
contains the firewall is reachable in a normal manner. But how to tunnel
and filter all traffic through this gate? My first thought (and at this stage,
it is still only a theoretical point of view) was: I need a router or a gateway
on the same machine. But that cannot be the right solution. I have no
experiencees in setting up systems with more than one NIC :-( so I need some
helping thoughts. How to set up two NICs which works as a tunnel with the
firewall atop? What is absolutely necessary in the FBSD 4.0 kernel to get
it working as a firewall and not simply as a filtering unit? Do I need
the option "options         BRIDGE"?

Well, I think I stuck at the point how pakets pass their way through kernel
and how they get routed or gated through a "standardpath" and this seems to be
a standard "trick" of all admins they should know. If you have literature
which points this networking aspect, please tell me.
Thanks a lot,
O. Hartmann

Gruss O. Hartmann