Date:      Wed, 12 Jul 2000 07:53:27 -0700
From:      Joseph Scott <joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu>
To:        Sean Lutner <sean@rentul.net>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bad sound output, AudioPCI ES1371, 4.0-STABLE

Sean Lutner wrote:

> I have the exact same card you do.
>
> (9) sean@pulse: ~ $ cat /dev/sndstat
> FreeBSD Audio Driver (newpcm) Jun 29 2000 01:10:19
> Installed devices:
> pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> at io 0x1080 irq 5 (1p/1r channels duplex)
> (10) sean@pulse: ~ $ dmesg | grep pcm
> pcm0: <AudioPCI ES1371> port 0x1080-0x10bf irq 5 at device 15.0 on pci0
> (11) sean@pulse: ~ $
>
> I also have device pcm in my kernel, and I've not have one glitch in my
> sound performance. I switch from X to console, I switch back, I switch
> desktops, I run lots of memory intensive programs (mozilla, Star Office
> 5.2, netscape, etc), and I've seen no performance hits.
>
> Any other comparisons you'd like to make, I'd be willing to do, compare
> configs, specs on machines etc...

	Hummmmm.  I'd be very happy to find that I've managed to do something
else (besides simply keeping up with -STABLE) that caused this.  I
wonder if this could be caused by IRQ conflicts.  Do you have anything
else that shows up with IRQ 5?  I believe on mine USB was also listed
as using IRQ 5.

	I also wonder if there's any settings in the BIOS that might have
changed to cause this to freak out.

	My tests thus far have only been attempts at playing MP3s and WAVs,
both of which suffer from the same problem.

--
Joseph Scott
joseph.scott@owp.csus.edu