Date:      Mon, 19 Feb 2001 07:11:39 +1100
From:      Peter Jeremy <peter.jeremy@alcatel.com.au>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: TGA driver available

On 2001-Feb-16 10:14:39 -0700, "Andrew M. Miklic" <miklic@fc.hp.com> wrote:
>    I've managed to complete a somewhat-functional TGA driver,

I'd like to thank Andrew, Drew and Thomas for their efforts.

>        1) Color scheme for text is "off"
>        2) Mouse does not work
>        3) Font loading does not work
>        4) X-vty switching
>
>    In order of priority, I am looking at the above in reverse order,

And I'm working on the above in that order.  I hope to have sane colours
within a few days.  I also have some patches to Andrew's code as follows:

1)  Fix files.alpha for TGA without VGA
2)  `generic' -STABLE to -CURRENT patches avoiding bus abstraction issues.
3)  Horrible hack to make TGA work on a -CURRENT LCA machine
        This patch basically re-creates pci_cfg{read,write}() and
        pci_cvt_to_dense() which were removed last year.  It additionally
	requires the removal of the `static' on lca_pcib_write_config()
	as well as adding a prototype for it in <alpha/pci/lcareg.h>
4)  General type and code cleanups (part 1)
        - use tga_reg_t ISO u_int32_t for accessing/copying TGA registers
        - avoid signed characters
        - Remove unused variables
5)  General type and code cleanups (part 2)
        - Conversion of magic numbers to macros.  This step is not
          complete - the patch covers the GDER, GMOR, VHCR and VVCR
          registers.

See my e-mail of a couple of days ago for background on points 2 and 3.
The remainder of the patches will work on -stable or -current.  Patch 3
is very much a `quick-and-dirty' hack - I'm not sure what the correct
fix is and didn't want to waste too much effort.

Peter