Date:      Thu, 7 Nov 1996 10:54:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Jake Hamby <jehamby@lightside.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Welcome to POSIX...

I now have a copy of the NIST POSIX conformance test suite, or
NIST-PCTS:151-2.  Right now I'm running it on a Solaris box so I can be
familiar with it before I try FreeBSD.

I should note, though, two things:  First, this is a test for FIPS 151-2,
and not strictly POSIX.1 (it's POSIX.1 with a few additional tidbits).
Second, this test suite does _NOT_ require TET to be installed, as Terry
had mentioned.  Perhaps I have a different test suite from what Terry
was thinking of?  If so, is that other test free as well?

I received the test suite from Martha Gray at NIST, and as Terry
mentioned, it does not yet have the proper legal notices for a more
wide-spread distribution.  However, as I've already discovered at least
one Linux distribution which claims to be POSIX.1 and FIPS 151-2
conformant already (Linux-FT from Lasermoon), I'm going to hurry and post
up my finding ASAP (it's only a matter of time before RedHat, e.g., get
tested for POSIX, and we don't want to be left in the dust :-)

-- Jake