Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 1995 20:45:13 -0400
From:      syoung@idirect.com (steve)
To:        hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   problems with new install

Hi folks,

I recently purchased the FreeBSD 2.0 Jan'95 CD from Walnut Creek; and I have
a couple of odd probs:

First, about 60% of the time, during install, I get checksum errors!  after
a couple of tries, it seems to work;

Second, try as I have, I cannot mount any CD in the drive to be used; I've
tried 3 score of alternatives:

If it helps, I have an AMD 486dx40vlb, 256k cache, 8mb, ATI 1 mb mach32 vlb,
with a Future Domain 1680 scsi, wren III 660mb scsi hd, a mitsumi 2xCD, a
seagate st-1239a, 200mb ide hd, and a colorado 250mb (floppy) tape, a sound
blaster awe32, a LANtastic ae-2 (ne2000) ethernet, and a boca 14,4
fax/modem/voice.

The install was multiply attempted on the ide drive, with combinations
removing the ethernet card, the network card, etc.  The only reported
conflict (at boot time) was at i/o 300h with the net card in; there is,
however, no other device at that address.

I did manage to get it to boot; but I can't access the CD.  Any assistance
or ideas that you might have will be greatly appreciated.  I am going to try
a few more variations to see if I can it going.  One way or t'other, I'll
let you guys know what finally worked!

Thanking you in advance,
Steve Young
thornhill, ontario