Date:      Fri, 4 Jun 1999 10:42:12 -0600
From:      Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>
To:        freebsd-java@FreeBSD.org, java-port@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   JDK1.1.8 status

For those of you chomping at the bit to get to the JDK1.1.8 bits, I have
made them temporarily available at:

http://www.freebsd.org/java/new

Fixed in this release:
1) JDK1.1.8 for both A.OUT and ELF releases
2) ELF support should work in all 3.* releases.  We no longer require
   older FreeBSD releases to upgrade their run-time loader.
3) LOCALE support should now work again.
4) Timezones should work correctly in FreeBSD 3.*

These bits *will* become the release if the testers (that means you!)
don't report any serious problems before Monday.

If folks get a chance, please download them and test them over the
weekend.  I haven't done even a minimal amount of testing on them, but I
haven't changed the way I build them so I don't forsee any problems with
them, and early tests of similar releases worked fine.  If you don't
have time to test them this weekend, you may want to hold off grabbing
them until after they become 'golden' next week.  I may have to re-roll
the release.

My goal is to have a solid JDK1.1.8 release out before JavaOne, which is
the week after next, so we need feedback ASAP.  The Linux folks also
just released their newest pre-release of JDK2, so we're hoping this
will help jump-start the JDK2 porting effort.

Thanks go to Keith White for all of his hard work in tracking down and
fixing almost all of the bugs in this release!

- The FreeBSD JAVA team