Date:      Wed, 18 Aug 2010 08:51:48 -0700
From:      Artem Belevich <fbsdlist@src.cx>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ZFS will gone,FreeBSD will import btrfs?

> So all we need to direct some of the money we already spend for
> supporting developers and certain developments to core ZFS developers no
> longer employed by Sun/Oracle and that way make FreeBSD the primary ZFS
> development platform for the future. If you have the key developers, the
> community will follow.

I'd argue that we'll need pjd@ more than ever.

I don't think that ex-OpenSolaris contributors are going to jump to
FreeBSD. There's project Illumos which is essentially an OpenSolaris
fork minus binary-only bits. My guess is that it's got a decent chance
to become a viable OpenSolaris replacement. Interestingly enough,
Illumos plans to import FreeBSD drivers (and some utils) to replace
closed-source ones that used to come from Solaris.

--Artem