Date:      Mon, 18 Jan 1999 15:30:12 -0600
From:      Erik Moe <ehm@concentric.net>
To:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   FreeBSD and RFC 1644

Many moons ago I (maybe incorrectly) sent a bug report to freebsd.org.
I can't remember the case number, but the text of the bug report went
like this:

My home home office has three systems: an Indy running IRIX 6.2, an i586
running FreeBSD 2.2.5, and an i386 also running FreeBSD 2.2.5.  All
three systems are connected via ethernet.  The i386 serves as a gateway
to the internet using a 28.8k modem and the user PPP package configured
for demand dialing.  Both the Indy and the i586 can route TCP/IP traffic
through the gateway onto the Internet.  I have Netscape Communicator
version 4.04 for the Indy and Netscape Communicator 4.05 for the i586.
Everything works find on both systems until I try to reach the URL
"http://www.freebsd.org".  The Indy system has no problems connecting to
the FreeBSD web site.  However, when I try to reach the same site with
the i586 running FreeBSD 2.2.5, I get the following error from Netscape:

A network error has occurred while Netscape was receiving data. (Network
Error: Connection reset by peer) Try connecting again.

This is really strange because the Indy system less than a foot away,
using the same gateway has no problem connecting to the FreeBSD web
site.  The i586 has no problem reaching "http://www.yahoo.com",
"http://java.sun.com".  It just will not connect to
"http://www.freebsd.org".

Well, many things have happened since I sent that bug report, I changed
jobs and no longer work out of my house or even have that Indy, but I
did figure out a workaround to my problem.  One of things I discovered
was there were other sites that my i586 would not connect to other than
"www.freebsd.org", one of them was "www.apache.org".  The other thing I
learned was that the problem had nothing to do with the i386 that I was
using as a gateway.  A standalone system my friend was using that also
ran FreeBSD, user ppp, and netscape and was using the same isp
(concentric.net) had the same problem.  Finally, through sheer luck, I
discover that if I disabled the rfc 1644 extensions through sysctl
utility I was immediately able to connect to both "www.freebsd.org" and
"www.apache.org".

My main interest in this problem at this point is simply curiosity.  I
have glanced through rfc 1644 looking for answers, but if they are
there, they simply don't smack me in the face.  I can accept the fact
that my service provider may have their network configured in such a way
that it breaks the combination of FreeBSD and rfc 1644, but can someone
out there tell me why this combination might break?

Erik Moe
ehm@concentric.net

P.S.  I know this issue continues to exist for me in 2.2.6-RELEASE, and
I assume that it continues in 2.2.7 and 2.2.8.