Date:      Mon, 11 Oct 2021 14:30:35 +0200
From:      Peter Boosten via questions <questions@freebsd.org>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: best software for managing multiple freebsd & linux machines ?

Op 11-10-2021 om 09:22 schreef Andrea Venturoli:
> On 10/11/21 7:29 AM, Peter Boosten via questions wrote:
>
>> I use saltstack to do exactly this:
>
> Hello.
>
> Since I've choosen Salt too (after trying Ansible and ditching it) and
> I'm (slowly) starting with it, can I ask which documentation you used
> or would reccomend?
>
> I think I like Salt, but when I try reading the official manuals, I
> always get the feeling the were written "the other way round" (e.g.
> providing a lot of nit-picky detail, but failing to give the big
> picture).

There's an ebook called 'Learning SaltStack Second Edition' which can be
downloaded freely (not sure if legal, btw):
https://www.programmer-books.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/05/Learning-SaltStack-Second-Edition.pdf

Using this knowledge I tried to figure out how Security Onion does its
stuff (SO is completely configured with SaltStack, creates docker
images, keeps track of their states, and configures them) and then
you'll experience the real power of it.

And it helps when you have a walking SaltStack encyclopedia/nerd as your
colleague :)

But I would recommend starting with the book.

--
Met vriendelijke groet/Kind regards

Peter Boosten

--