Date:      Tue, 1 Aug 2000 00:04:30 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mitch@ccmr.cornell.edu>
To:        ARCHIVE <archive@in-design.com>
Cc:        "freebsd-isp@FreeBSD. ORG" <freebsd-isp@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: your mail

> 	I was wondering if there is a way of sharing passwd information between
> FreeBSD; Solaris; AIX and a bunsh of NT boxes.
> It seams that Kerberos was ment for this - am I on the right track? Any
> pointers greatly appreciated.

This is what we all want.  You're on the right track but so far as
I'm aware all of the above but NT will do it.  Win2000 will do it,
too.  To do kerberos authentication in NT you need something like
Gina from Notre Dame.  I'm not sure what state that's in these days.
The dept I just moved to is in the process of removing Gina from our
NT boxen and going to multiple password databases.  I'd love to find
a way to avoid that.  Samba might be a possibility but I'm told it
doesn't avoid the clear-text password problem.  I still need to verify
that before eliminating it from consideration.

-Mitch