Date:      Sat, 19 Jun 2010 11:29:38 -0400
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 8.1-RC1 fails to boot on iBook G4

On Jun 17, 2010, at 9:38 AM, Nathan Whitehorn wrote:

> On 06/16/10 21:13, Paul Mather wrote:
>> I just tried to book the 8.1-RC1 disc1 ISO on an iBook G4 but it =
failed to boot into FreeBSD.  I was left at the Open Firmware prompt.  =
Is FreeBSD known not to work on an iBook G4?  I was able to boot =
successfully into the FreeBSD installer using this same disc on a =
PowerBook G4.
>>  =20
>=20
> That should work perfectly fine. I have a G4 iBook of the same model =
running FreeBSD.
>=20
>> Decrementer exception at   %SRR0: 00100100   %SRR1: 10003030
>>  =20
>=20
> This is a very rare race during early initialization that happens on =
some machines and that no one has been able to track down. A timer seems =
to have gone off in the middle of the OF->kernel transition. It's =
possible that if you wait a different amount of time at the boot prompt =
it won't happen.

I tried waiting a different amount of time during a couple of boot =
attempts, but it made no difference.  Some of the times I waited until =
different points during the countdown to boot before pressing the return =
key, and at least once I pressed space to go to the boot prompt and let =
it sit there for a while before issuing "boot."  Every time, it failed =
to boot FreeBSD.

Almost always, I get the "Decrementer exception" error above, but once I =
got something akin to a "Memory access error" reported, with the same =
%SRR0 and %SRR1 values.  I even reset the iBook's PRAM via =
Command-Option-P-R, but to no avail.

Cheers,

Paul.