Date:      Mon, 25 Mar 2002 03:17:04 -0800
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert2@mindspring.com>
To:        Hans Reiser <reiser@namesys.com>
Cc:        hiten@uk.FreeBSD.org, Greg Lehey <grog@FreeBSD.org>, Chris Mason <mason@suse.com>, Josh MacDonald <jmacd@CS.Berkeley.EDU>, Parity Error <bootup@mail.ru>, freebsd-fs@FreeBSD.org, reiserfs-dev@namesys.com
Subject:   Re: [reiserfs-dev]i Re: metadata update durability ordering/softupdates

Hans Reiser wrote:
> You aren't merely aggregating, you are compiling together and using
> together, except of course that another poster says you don't really use
> ext2fs code at all, so this is a moot point.

I think by "compiled together", you mean "linking".  But to use
your terminology:

BeOS is no more "compiling together and using together" the
GPL'ed than Solaris is "compiled together and used together"
with GCC when you install GCC on a Solaris system.  The drivers
run as programs.

In the FreeBSD EXT2FS case, we *are NOT* "compiling together
and using together" the code.  That is the whole point of
giving them the source code, and not distributing a kernel
image that has been "compiled together" with the EXT2FS code,
and which can not be "used together" with it, since the code
was not compiled into it.  By making it the responsibility
of the user, it avoids the "copy and distribute" activity
which is what triggers the license to cover the code with
which it is "compiled together and used together".

The user can perform this action themselves, at their option,
just as they can compile and link and utilize any GPL'ed code
they want to, on any system they want to.

But by the nature of the licenses that the combined code would
have to come under in order to be distributed, the combined
code is not permitted to be distributed.

The GPL is like "part B" of a binary nerve gas bomb.  As long
as you don't combine it with a "part A", there's no nerve gas,
and no one gets hurt.

-- Terry