Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 1995 17:37:47 -0700
From:      "Bryan O'Sullivan" <bos@Eng.Sun.COM>
To:        tony@thing.sunquest.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support charges ( was Re: SUP target for -STABLE...)

t> As far as I understand this (from having a friend who works at
t> Cygnus) this is their normal method of operation.

Cygnus is different in one moderately important regard: they have the
GPL to wave at people who don't want the work Cygnus does on software
like gdb distributed to the world.

That said, it looks to me like Karl Denninger misunderstands the idea
behind providing support in the form of patches for problems.  If a
paying customer doesn't want a patch to go back into the main source
tree, then they will have to either (a) reapply the patch themselves
the next time they upgrade their system (assuming the patch can be
applied) or (b) pay for another patch to be made by the support
people.  Neither of these options is cost effective from the
customer's point of view, since they waste both money and time.

"Owning" a patch for a problem may look good if you don't think it
through very far, but it is counterproductive.

	<b