Date:      Sun, 09 Sep 2001 22:50:08 -0400
From:      "Kenneth Mays" <kmays2000@hotmail.com>
To:        stable@freebsd.org
Cc:        docs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Bug: "Man sb" , "man pcm, "man sbc" and the "controller" keyword

Hi,

I guess this is my area of turmoil during my sound chip (CS4239 on Thinkpad
600E) testing during the weekend. I found a few errors in the man pages.

Sidenote: The new way to compile kernels and old way to compile kernels. The
FreeBSD handbook (09/09/01) states a new way and old way. The old way is
similar to Greg Lehey's book,"The Complete FreeBSD: Third Edition (pages
361-363)", which I hope this book gets updated to reflect 4.x. I thought
correct kernel compiling methods is another things we should look at since
many people are doing it. What gets me is that we may be compiling kernels
based on misinformation (old information).

1. "controller xxx" is mentioned many times in the different documentation
(like "man sb") yet CONFIG tells you this command is depreciated. CONFIG
will tell you to replace "controller" with the word "device" when you are
trying to build your kernel. The problem with that was during the time I was
to try "controller pnp0" I found out that if you try "device pnp0" it will
not work either.

2. The snd drivers are depreciated in which you are told to use in the man
pages of "man sbc", "man sb", and "man pcm". The documentation in these man
pages are not very clear in some cases or will tell you to do things that
are no longer valid procedures.

Sidenote: Basically, this might not get fixed so late in the game but
something to do for the -STABLE series. I hope everybody can pick up a copy
of the latest handbook (09/09/01) off of:
ftp://ftp.freebsd.org/pub/FreeBSD/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/book.txt.zip
I understand what many people go through trying to keep documentation
updated nowadays. Just hope pointing out these issues helps someone.

Ken
4.4RC4