Date:      Wed, 5 May 2010 10:05:13 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Scott Johnson <scottj75074@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Server disappears from network

> IIRC, there was a memory leak in the em driver for 8.0.  That and a
bunch of other improvments
> to the em driver have happened since then so
you may want to give 8-STABLE a go.

After some googling, I think I've found the problem: bug kern/144330, recently fixed in 8-stable.

I think it's unfortunate that such a bug (mbuf leakage) would manifest itself in this way. It is bad behavior for a server to simply disappear from the network with no other indication of what went wrong. Shouldn't there be something in /var/log/messages when the system runs out of mbufs?