Date:      Fri, 21 Jul 1995 18:25:57 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        nate@sneezy.sri.com (Nate Williams)
Cc:        Karl Denninger <karl@Mcs.Net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Support charges ( was Re: SUP target for -STABLE...)

> [ Paying for support ]
> >
> > If I'm going to pay for "support", defined as I report problems and some
> > organization works on fixing them, where the person(s) time that is used is
> > amortized over a lot of people, then that organization "owns" the fixes and
> > I get them under what is essentially a license.

Eh?  What?  I must have missed something from Karl here since the
quoted text appears in none of the discussions I've seen fly through
my mailbox.

To answer the above, I think it's a little bit more subtle than that.
Karl has worked with the likes of BSDI, where ownership is pretty
straight-forward, and thus has certain expectations about how this
works.  BSDI don't put their software up for anon ftp and they don't
give away their work, meaning that the concept of "fix ownership" is
more apropos there.  That's not really the case here, though you could
still use that model with one important twist: FreeBSD, Inc. would
"own" the fixes for about 4 nanoseconds and then transfer the
redistribution rights straight to the public.  Problem solved.

I've already replied to Karl's questions of cost and clarified that he
would NOT be paying for a full-time engineer.  He'd be paying a much
more modest fee for the privilege of being able to call a telephone
number or send an email for a quick and reliable response.

Needless to say, I would not collect so much as *one penny* for
support before such time as I had enough people signed up that I knew
I could pay the salaries of as many people as I thought would be
necessary to run such an org effectively.  The last thing I want or
need is to collect money and then have a lot of unhappy customers
saying that the tech support line is constantly busy or they got
fobbed off with an excuse and no fix.

There's also the question of what to do when we get a problem report
for an area of the system that's clearly in the domain of someone NOT
working for the organization.  We can't pass the buck to a volunteer,
so we need to make sure that we have total coverage of the system
replicated in the support organization.  This would effectively mean
creating a "shadow FreeBSD Project" of sorts, which would take some
finesse since it means that the corporation is going to have its own
CVS tree and its own lineage of FreeBSD releases or face an even less
desirable situation where volunteers are co-opted into working for the
org or get their toes stepped on when someone in the corporation
rushes in to fix a bug that they're contractually obligated to fix
quickly and don't have much choice about.

> > If I am going to pay for a person's livelihood in total or substantially in
> > total (ie: thousands of dollars a month) then I own their output.
> > Period.
>
> Are you hiring them as a programmer, or as a support person.  There is a
> subtle difference in my mind.  When Cygnus was paid to develop gcc for

To clarify this again: If Karl was paying thousands of dollars a month
he could HAVE the fixes and probably the support engineer's first-born
child as well.  That's not the kind of money we're talking about
though and I furthermore don't think that this kind of model would
work anyway for reasons I stated earlier - neither Karl nor we need
the kinds of strings attached that this level of contribution would
imply, certainly at least not for a support contract.

						Jordan