Date:      Sat, 22 Jun 2013 13:49:06 -0700
From:      Jeremy Chadwick <jdc@koitsu.org>
To:        =?unknown-8bit?Q?Lo=EFc?= BLOT <loic.blot@unix-experience.fr>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: slow bootloader on Dell R320

On Sat, Jun 22, 2013 at 09:37:37PM +0200, Loc BLOT wrote:
> Hi all !
> Thanks for the very good support of Dell R320 hardware, perc H310 is
> well supported, BCM5720 seems to work correctly and performances are
> great.
> The only problem i have found is very strange. The FreeBSD bootloader
> take many times to load, 30sec-2minutes to boot the kernel and show the
> bootloader menu. After that, the system boots properly, at a normal
> speed.
> Is there any issue or optimization i can do ?
> The OpenBSD bootloader doesn't have this problem.

1. What FreeBSD version exactly?  (Please don't say "9.1", we need to
know the full version, e.g. 9.1-RELEASE, or if you built your own we
need uname -a output (you can hide the machine name))

2. How many disks are in the machine?

3. Are any of the disks used for ZFS?

There have been **many** improvements to the FreeBSD bootloader with
regards to things taking a long time on boot-up in semi-recent days, but
answers to the above questions will determine that.

--
| Jeremy Chadwick                                   jdc@koitsu.org |