Date:      Fri, 14 May 1999 10:53:06 -0400
From:      John.Shue@symmetron.com (John A. Shue)
To:        <stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   make aout-to-elf-build failed w/ sources from 05/13/99

I'm trying to upgrade a 2.1-STABLE machine to RELENG_3.

I cvsup'ed RELENG_3 on 5/13/99 from cvsup.freebsd.org.

I'm following instructions I found by searching the mail archives in combination w/ Nik
Clayton's "Making the world your own" (which I've used many times in the past to track
2.1-STABLE and 2.2-STABLE).

They say to do "make aout-to-elf-build" in /usr/src.

It immediately flashed the warning message:

"Makefile.upgrade", line 111: warning: Couldn't read shell's output

This doesn't seem to bother the make, because it continues to:

 Upgrading the installed make

Then it does:

 Doing an aout buildworld to get an up-to-date set of tools

>>> Cleaning up the temporary aout build tree

Then it dies during:

>>> Making make

with the following error message:

main.o: Undefined symbol `_sysctlbyname' referenced from text segment
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.
*** Error code 1

Stop.

Is it supposed to make "make" after it did so in the first step "Upgrading the installed
make"?  And why did it appear to build "make" successfully the first time and die w/ an
unresolved symbol the second time?

What can I try to get this thing to build?

I used "script" to capture the output from running make, if anyone wants to take a look

John A. Shue
4000 Legato Road, Suite 600
Fairfax, VA 22033
(703) 591-5559