Date:      Tue, 22 Aug 1995 14:25:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Joe Greco <jgreco@brasil.moneng.mei.com>
To:        smace@crash.ops.neosoft.com (Scott Mace)
Cc:        ache@astral.msk.su, hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: equal cost ip forwarding

> What I'm talking about is something like this:
>
> you have two "interfaces ethernet, fddi or whatever"  and they both go to
> the same place, and you want to load balanced over the 2.  This is supported
> by cornell's gated (RT_N_MULTIPATH) depending on what routing protocol you
> use.

Yes, this has been hashed through before, although usually in the guise of a
serial connection of some sort (i.e. references to PPP or BSDI's mslip,
which I started to port about half a year ago and didn't get finished).

My understanding is that the routing code isn't designed for it, the
interface code (which tends to use IP addresses and interface names somewhat
interchangably at some points) isn't up to it, and so the solutions proposed
have always been lower level stuff so as to avoid higher level issues.

I for one would love to see this capability in FreeBSD...

... JG