Date:      Fri, 30 Oct 1998 22:42:17 -0500 (EST)
From:      Simon Shapiro <shimon@simon-shapiro.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Installing

Mike Smith, On 31-Oct-98 you wrote:

> > On the i386 machine:
> >   dd if=kern.flp of=/dev/rfd0 bs=18k
> >   mount /dev/fd0 /mnt
> >   rm -rf /mnt/*
> >   cp mfsroot.gz /mnt
> >   umount /mnt
> >
> > On the alpha machine:
> >
> > ls
> >
> > /mfsboot.gz
> >

> > Perfect!
>
>  Bugger.  I wonder what's going wrong.

My guess:  The disklabel that you or me think is correct, is not.  the
correct one is that which makes the boot/kernel floppy.  Probably some
offset at the beginning to accomodate the boot sectors, etc.

> > Well, almost.  Now the kernel starts and dies after
> >
> > mmclock0: ...
> > sc0: at 0x60 irq1 on isa0
>
>  That's a known gotcha.  Put a video card in it until syscons is fixed.

Any VGA card? Or this unavailable (to me) DEC creation?

> > BTW, disklabel on the kernel boot floppy does not yield anything but an
> > ioctl error:
> >
> > disklabel: ioctl DIOCGDINFO: Invalid argument
>
>  Is this a 2.2 or 3.0 system?  If the latter, you *might* have the Bruce
>  Broken Disklabel problem, in which case you should update.

3.0 with sources as of last night.  We are getting close....

Thanx for all this help...

Simon